Concrete work is hard on the body. The best way to protect your feet and ankles from injury is with a good pair of boots designed for concrete.
If you’re in the market for new work boots but aren’t sure which ones will be the best work boots for concrete, this post can help.
I tested 15 work boots and found the Irish Setter Men’s 6″ 83605 Work Boot to be the best work boots for concrete.
I spend a lot of time working with concrete, so I know that work boots are the most crucial part of the whole attire.
They should be designed for safety in the workplace; however, most of them aren’t very comfortable for long hours.
Conventional work boots designed for concrete have traditionally been heavy and bulky, but the best kind of work boots these days is varied in features and designs.
Gone are the clunky, old-fashioned styles that were thick with weighty materials; the Irish Setter Men’s 6″ 83605 Work Boot is lightweight and durable, making it easier to move around without being weighed down by a large, cumbersome shoe.
Boots for concrete floors need to be sturdy enough that they can bear the brunt of your total weight. That being said, there’s more to it than just sturdiness and weight.
A regular work boot won’t stand up against all this wear and tear, so you need an exceptional one, precisely one that finds the right balance between performance, durability, and comfort.
Keep reading for my top 10 picks of different types of work boots for concrete on the market.
TOP 10 BEST WORK BOOTS FOR CONCRETE
To help you find the best work boots for concrete floors, I’ve compiled a list of my top ten work boots for walking on concrete. This list is based on comfort, protection features, and overall quality.
The Irish Setter brand has been well-known for its rugged, durable boots since the mid-1950s. The 83605 work boots are just as stylish and functional as ever, especially if you’re working on concrete.
The upper is made of high-quality leather stained to a gorgeous finish with shiny polish on top. They have a wedge design that provides arch support in all conditions, thanks to its moderate height. There’s also an innovative tread pattern at the bottom, offering you total stability through any terrain, no matter how rough or wet it may be outside today (or tomorrow)
I like these work boots because the nylon lining inside makes them that much more comfortable, especially during the break-in period.
In addition, the lace enclosure system makes them easy to wear and get just that right fit you want. These boots also meet electrical safety standards suitable for those who work in high-risk environments like firefighters or electricians.
- 100% leather – The Irish Setter Men’s 83605 6″ work boot is made with 100% leather. It provides a soft and supple feel while also being extremely durable.
- Rubber sole – This boot has a rubber sole that provides excellent traction in wet conditions. It also adds to the durability of this boot by protecting it from wear and tear caused by hard surfaces.
- Wide boot opening – The wide opening makes it easy to slip into these boots. You can quickly get them on and off during work breaks or lunchtime, without having to worry about tying your boots again.
- EVA outsole – The outsole is made from rubber-EVA material that offers both comfort and support for your feet as you walk around at work all day long. It is heat resistant for protection in high heat environments like foundries, steel mills, etc., so you can be sure that this boot will last through years of use.
- Meets ASTM F2413-11 Safety for electrical hazards
- Easy to clean
- Resistant to melting at 475 F minimum
- Toe box may be tight for some
- Seams could break easily
The OverDrive Pull-on Waterproof Work Boot is designed for hardworking men who need to stay protected in wet weather, especially on concrete floors.
The boot features waterproof and durable full-grain leather that is abrasion-resistant and non-wicking, which helps keep your feet dry. In addition, its enclosed mesh lining allows air circulation all day long so you can stay cool on those hot summer days.
Finally, the Men’s Ariat Overdrive XT is made of waterproof 1,800 denier polyester construction. It also sports improved anti-fatigue side-to-side stability, which helps keep your feet from getting tired.
- Good balance – Ariat’s Men’s Overdrive XTR Pull-On work boots feature a lightweight, supportive composite shank that gives your body better balance and proper body alignment.
- Lightweight – The leather upper is 100% waterproof. The sole provides traction and durability. Duratread outsole construction is oil and slip-resistant. The mesh lining doesn’t add any weight.
- Supportive composite shank – Ariat’s molded TPU wear guards on the toe and heel will protect against abrasion to the most vulnerable areas of your work boots. Forked design assures balance and proper body alignment while working in these men’s boots. Ariat Boot Size Chart Guide For The Best Fit
- 90-degree heel for added support
- ASTM rated toe for confident protection
- ATS technology to relieve foot fatigue
- May be uncomfortable for some
- Thick sole could break easily
If you’re looking for a high-quality, water-resistant work boot that doesn’t sacrifice style or comfort for function, then the Timberland PRO Men’s Barstow Wedge Work Boot is your best bet.
The leather on these boots will stay soft and dry even if it gets wet thanks to its tanned premium construction while still offering superb protection against outside elements like rain. The overall look of this footwear isn’t going to make heads turn, but considering how well they keep your feet warm in cold weather with their insulation lining shielding them from moisture all day long while working on concrete — we think people might be more interested than not.
- 100% leather – The Barstow Wedge work boot is made of premium leather for a soft feel and long-lasting durability.
- Rubber sole – The sole is slip, oil, and abrasion-resistant for a secure grip on any surface.
- Speed-lacing hardware – Speed-lacing hardware provides an easy on/off application that allows you to get to work faster.
- Anti-fatigue technology – Anti-fatigue technology is shock-absorbing with every step, reducing the stress placed on your lower back and knees.
- Removable footbed for added comfort
- Trusted brand
- Stylish design
- May be bulky for some
- Could squeak when walking
You may have heard of Red Wing before. This company is one of the most expensive brands today because they make their boots in America with only top-quality materials. One example of that quality would be the Heritage Moc 6″ boot. This pair of work boots is made from durable leather and treated to keep water out, ensuring it will last a long, long time.
You don’t have to sacrifice style for durability with the Red Wing Roughneck boot. The full-grain leather upper is designed ruggedly to go from work to play without skipping a beat, and it also has bold stitching, which makes them look even better. With this sturdy shoe, your feet will be extra cushioned thanks to an EVA midsole and Vibram lug outsole that provides grip on any surface, especially on concrete floors.
- Durable and stylish – These boots are made with high-quality materials, providing a long lifespan. They’re stylish and comfortable to wear, making them perfect for any occasion.
- Comfortable fit – The Red Wing Heritage Roughneck Boot is designed to provide a snug fit that reduces fatigue. You’ll love the way they feel on your feet.
- Water and slip-resistant – This boot features a unique sole design that provides slip-resistant features in wet conditions. This makes it ideal for those who work outdoors or have active lifestyles.
- Can clean them quickly
- Made in the USA
- Can combine with Red Wing oils for ultra conditioning or protection
- May be heavy for some
- More expensive than some other models
If you work in a dangerous environment, these heavy-duty Caterpillar boots are perfect for keeping your feet safe and comfortable. They have an ergonomically contoured insole that follows the natural curves of your foot, so it cradles them for stability instead of just sitting on top as many other boots do.
The thick sole absorbs any impact from walking while also providing enough protection against sharp objects hidden underfoot, such as broken glass or nails, which can be hazardous if stepped upon by accident. These high-quality leather uppers will not only last, but they’ll make sure water won’t get through easily, keeping those wet days at bay when you’re working outside without access to dry clothes.
- Protection – Caterpillar’s Second Shift Steel Toe work boot is made of full-grain leather for long-lasting durability and safety. The oil-resistant outsole keeps you on your feet even in the most challenging conditions, while the padded ankle provides comfort throughout your workday.
- Comfort – These comfortable work boots have a padded collar that molds to your foot for a comfortable fit all day long. The cushioned footbed offers support and shock absorption as you walk, preventing fatigue.
- Durability – This steel toe work boot is built to last with an oil and slip-resistant rubber outsole that gives you traction on slippery surfaces. Lightweight nylon shanks provide stability and support when climbing stairs or ladders, so you can continue working without interruption.
- Protects the wearer against open currents
- Offers Goodyear welt construction
- Nylon mesh lining for breathability
- Inner lining may fall apart easily
- Tread may wear away quickly
This Thorogood work boot is an all-day, comfortable work boot that boasts comfort from the first time you put them on. These come right out of the box with minimal break-in required and include a padded leather shaft for added cushioning.
The safety toe boot is made of 100% full-grain leather and has rubber outsoles that are acid, oil, and water-resistant. This pair of boots remains true to its traditional roots by only having full-grain leather on the top part of the boot. The toe cap is bigger than other boots to give way for the steel toes, allowing your feet to wiggle around without squishing together. The leather is also handsomely finished in an oil-tanned color.
- Made in the USA – The quality of these boots is unmatched. All Thorogood work boots are made right here in the United States of America. Each pair is carefully crafted right here at home, from materials to construction, assembly, and packaging.
- Footbed – The removable footbed provides ultimate shock absorption for your feet while you’re on the job site or out enjoying some outdoor time. It also features an anatomical contour design that supports your arches and helps reduce fatigue during long days on your feet.
- Comes in extended sizes
- Doesn’t require a break-in period
- Outsole is said to outlast the competition by 30%
- May not fit properly
- Could be uncomfortable for long periods of time
The Timberland PRO Direct Attach work boots will hold up all day. The polyurethane midsole is designed with your feet in mind, providing arch support and shock absorption for the perfect balance between comfort and firmness.
These durable boots also come equipped with nylon diffusion plates built into their rubber soles which offer added protection against injury while remaining flexible enough to keep you comfortable throughout the day. With their sleek black leather uppers, these Timberland Pro men’s boots are an easy choice when it comes to getting through long days on your feet.
The new line of Timberland work boots provides maximum comfort without sacrificing any style points or durability – they’re as stylish as they are well-made.
- Construction – Timberland PRO is the world’s leading manufacturer of premium work boots and designs their boots to meet the demands of any job in any environment while keeping you safe and protected on your feet all day long.
- Breathable and Moisture Wicking – Moisture-wicking lining with anti-microbial treatment helps to reduce foot fatigue by drawing moisture away from the skin and dispersing it throughout the shoe where it can evaporate quickly for a drier, more comfortable feel.
- Timberland Pro 24/7 Comfort System – This innovative system reduces foot fatigue by distributing weight evenly across crucial pressure points such as the heel, arch, and ball of the foot to help prevent overuse injuries like plantar fasciitis.
- Thermolite insulation to keep feet warm
- TPU outsole is abrasion resistant
- Patented MaxTrax slip-resistant tread design
- Sole may separate
- May need to order a half size up
This pair of work boots from Keen is different than most because it has a flexible sole. This boot, in particular, is made to look like a hiking shoe. It has natural earth colors with dark blue and brown spots so it’s not boring.
The soles are made differently than other safety boots, which means that they won’t get stuck on uneven surfaces. Keen Utility used three parts to make this shoe’s sole so that it won’t break easily and can stay on your feet even when you’re walking on an uneven surface.
One thing to note is that it can take 3 to 5 days for your Keen Detroit XT boots to break in until they get comfortable. You can wear these boots all day, and they won’t hurt your feet at the end of the day.
- Traction – The outsole is designed with deep, aggressive lugs that bite into the ground and provide excellent traction.
- Protection – Steel safety toe meets or exceeds ASTM F2412 and F2413 EH compression and impact safety standards.
- Support – A dual-density footbed offers superior arch support for all-day comfort.
- Visibility – Reflective piping on both sides of the upper enhances visibility in low light conditions.
- Uses Cleansportnx technology to break down odors
- Leather is sourced from tanneries that are Leather Working Group (LWG) certified
- Keen partners with non-profit organizations to help the community
- This style may be more narrow than other styles from the same manufacturer
- May be hard to break-in
Reebok is not a brand that people associate with work gear, but their Rapid Response line of boots proves them wrong.
Design-wise, this work boot is more at home on the battlefield than it would be in a cow pasture. The cattle hide upper works with durable ballistic nylon weave for a rugged but comfortable look and feel. At the same time, the sculpted rubber outsole offers excellent slip resistance as well as being acid-, oil-, and water-resistant to keep you working all day outdoors without any hassles.
In addition, the sole will hold up against abrasion quite nicely even after hours of walking across concrete surfaces.
- Comfort – When you’re on your feet all day, the last thing you want is a stiff, uncomfortable boot. The Reebok Rapid Response work boots are designed with an extra-wide toe for maximum comfort.
- Durability – These men’s work boots have been constructed with premium leather and a combination of high-quality materials that will stand up to even the most demanding conditions. The mid-profile design offers additional support around the ankle area and extra cushioning in the heel for added comfort throughout your day.
- Fit – If you’ve ever had trouble finding a pair of boots that fits just right, then you know how important it is to find footwear that feels comfortable from day one. That’s why we recommend ordering these men’s work boots in half size bigger than your usual size. They also come with an easy pull side zipper for quick on/off convenience and a hook-and-loop strap for security while working or walking around at home or work.
- Lace-up design offers a secure fit
- Padded tongue and collar for additional comfort
- Extra-wide toe for a better fit
- May not be for heavy work
- Can cause blisters
Irish Setter Marshall work boots are a long-time favorite, and they’re even better now. Irish Setters have all the features you need to keep your feet happy at home or on the job site. It’s no wonder they make it on our list of best work boots for concrete.
The Irish Setter Marshall is a boot that will last for years. It has handsome stitching on the sides, and it’s made with a rigid steel toe insert to protect against impacts or compression. Not only does this type of shoe have removable polyurethane footbeds so you can customize your needs, but they’re also constructed using Goodyear welt construction outsoles which ensure durability in any weather condition.
- Style – The Irish Setter Marshall boot is an excellent choice for the man on the go. With its sleek, low-profile design and lightweight comfort, you’ll feel like you’re walking on air.
- Safety – You can’t put a price tag on safety. That’s why this boot boasts premium materials to create a high-quality work boot that will keep your feet protected at all times. It meets ASTM F2413-11, M/I/75/C/75 Electrical Hazard Safety Rating and features an UltraDry Waterproofing system.
- Technology – Thanks to the Goodyear welt construction and RPM composite technology in this boot, weight is reduced without sacrificing comfort or durability, meaning that you’ll have less fatigue throughout your day.
- Stylish wrangler look
- Pull-on design for easier removal
- Heat-resistant outsole
- Colors may vary from photo
- Expensive option
Why You Need Concrete-Specific Work Boots
If you’ve never spent all day walking and working on concrete, you might think that you can get away with wearing “regular” work boots.
However, after the first day doing this, you’d realize the importance of choosing work boots for concrete.
How Work Boots for Concrete Can Help
When it comes to concrete work, you need specialized boots. Not only does your shoe choice have an impact on your safety, but your comfort level as well.
Wearing the right pair of work boots means that your feet won’t have any issues, no matter how tough things get.
Prevent Slips & Falls
Wearing the proper footwear can dramatically reduce your risk of injury from slips and falls.
Simply having boots that are appropriate for the surface you’re working on will significantly decrease your chances of a slip or fall, which could have serious consequences throughout an entire life.
Most work boots come with soles explicitly designed to grip surfaces while providing traction and stability – reducing risks encountered at both work and any other activities requiring long hours spent standing on concrete.
Keep Your Feet From Getting Tired
With the proper work boots for standing, you can keep your feet feeling great despite hard and unforgiving surfaces.
The only thing between you and a floor is an insert; most insoles are made from materials that will wear out quickly when used on rough ground with little cushioning.
Luckily, more modern options exist to help provide much-needed support inside any pair of rugged shoes like steel toe work boots.
Purchasing the best quality footwear doesn’t have to be expensive either- there’s no need to break the budget just so long as it fits well enough to not stretch too easily over time or start ripping under pressure after continuous use!
There are many different work boots for concrete on the market today.
These specialized types of footwear can withstand abuse and wear in even the harshest environments, including those with extreme temperatures or various terrains like concrete.
The most popular models will have a durable upper part made from breathable fabric while also providing excellent cushioning to ensure all-day comfort while walking around at your job site.
Meanwhile, work boots for concrete should also include an equally tough lower section which offers stability when you go upstairs or move heavy equipment without compromising toe protection against abrasive surfaces such as gravel, dirt, or cement.
Keeping You Safe
The main benefit of work boots is that they are safer than your average footwear.
They have steel toes or composite material to protect the feet from accidental drops, scrapes, and bumps into equipment or materials.
Most manufacturers realize that being safe while working around machinery is essential for any good worker!
Features You Should Look For
There are many features you need to look for when purchasing work boots for concrete. These features will ensure your feet are protected while you work in a tough environment.
TPU and rubber outsoles are the only two materials you should consider when buying work boots.
TPU stands for Thermo Polyurethane, which is one of the safest bets if you’re going to be walking a lot on slippery surfaces or abrasive terrain.
TPU’s oil-resistant properties make it an excellent choice as well; this material can withstand abrasion much better than other options such as leather soles would.
Thick rubber outsoles also provide traction and grip necessary in your workwear – both these materials keep water off your feet, so they don’t get wet while working outside.
The insole is vital to a boot’s comfort. Inside the boot, you will find the insole and the liner.
The liner can help reduce abrasions and wick away moisture. Gore-Tex is best for these purposes.
When it comes to the insole for work boots, you should look at the quality and cushioning it offers.
EVA or memory foam are good options with perfect molding for pronation and supination, while PU foam offers decent comfort at an affordable price.
Concrete is a slippery surface. Depending on the level of polish and grit, it can be dangerous to walk on when it’s wet.
Keep yourself safe from harm by getting boots that have slip-resistant treads.
These types of work boots will prevent water from collecting under your feet, so you are always in contact with the ground no matter what condition your surroundings may happen to be in.
It is not good when your boots are not fitted. Your work boots need to fit well for them to work.
Ensure you measure your feet correctly before buying a pair of boots, and choose an option that allows you to get a tight fit.
It is best to avoid boots that only use velcro or zippers. Lace-up work boots that go up over your ankle are better because they match the shape of your foot, so there is no extra space where you might feel uncomfortable.
Having the right size boots will do wonders for providing the right level of support and stability to your foot and ankle.
If you’re on your feet all day on concrete floors, you don’t want boots that are too heavy because they will weigh you down and cause soreness.
You should consider getting a lighter-weight boot if you know that your workday will be very long or tiring.
Boots are heavier than shoes, and you need boots that can provide more support for standing on concrete all day.
It sounds silly, but the best way to get a natural feel for the weight of a work boot is by picking it up off the floor, grab hold of it with both hands, then let go and see how quickly it drops back onto the ground.
This will give you an indication as to how heavy the work shoe feels when being worn. It’s a simple method, but it works.
There are many different types of protective safety toe that you can buy for your work boots.
The best one will depend on the nature of what job you do, but most people seem to like composite toes or steel toes (as opposed to a soft toe).
Steel is more affordable, while a composite toe offers both durability and is lightweight. Also, boots with an asymmetrical design offer much greater comfort than regular safety boots.
Should you need electrical hazard protection against water, consider buying boots with a waterproof membrane or waterproof leather to prevent water from collecting underneath the sole and not impede contact between your feet and the flooring surface.
Work boots for concrete are a critical piece of safety gear that you should take seriously. It’s essential to find the right pair that meets all of your needs with style and features.
At a minimum, the best work boots for concrete should have some basic features such as:
- Soles meant to combat traction on slippery surfaces like wet floors or tile
- Wide toe area for plenty of room so toes will not cramp, especially if you want a steel toe
- A steel shank reinforcement belt to provide long-lasting foot support
- A high-quality insole that will support your foot over long periods
There are many factors to consider when selecting the best work boots for concrete, including your working environment and personal preference. It’s crucial to find the right pair that meets all of your needs with the right style and features.
Fortunately, I’ve done a lot of the heavy lifting for you by researching some great options from trusted brands like Red Wing, Caterpillar Workwear, Timberland, Irish Setter, and Keen Utility.
My top pick is the Irish Setter Men’s 6″ 83605 Work Boot for its overall quality in performance, style, and comfort.
If you prefer a specific brand or style, hopefully, my reviews and advice have given you some insight, and you can pull the trigger on purchasing the best work boots for you.
If you have any suggestions that should be on this list, let us know!